Friday, February 5, 2016

Sophie's Almond Cake (Gluten Free)

The almond cake Sophie enjoys in A Native Fern is real enough to eat. This recipe is a simple and easily adaptive treat. The * will give you clues to how you might change things to suit you.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups of almond meal or almond flour * (Raw or Blanched Almond Flour would work. I used Raw Almond Flour that I toasted a bit before using. To do that I simply lined the baking dish with parchment paper and spread the Raw Almond Flour over it. Bake for 5-8 minutes, or just enough to warm and dry the almonds a little. If you use Blanched Almond Flour I don't think you'd need to toast the flour before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.) 
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of sea salt
1 egg
1/4 cup of honey * ( I used maple syrup instead of honey. Agave would work just as well, and you'd need less to be equally sweet. You can also adjust the amount of sweetener to suit you.)
1 tablespoon organic orange marmalade   
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

DIRECTIONS

Put all the ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix well.
Your batter should be wet but not runny.
Pour the mix into a smallish baking pan or loaf pan lined with parchment

BAKE at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. 

Let the cake cool slightly. It's lovely warm with a cuppa tea or whatever is your fancy.

I wished I'd have been less hungry for cake, and ready with the camera so I could have a picture to show you. Next time I make Sophie's Almond Cake, I'll slip in a photo.





No comments:

Post a Comment